In this Special Issue on Organelle Homeostasis, The FEBS Journal highlights the latest advances in the field of organelle homeostasis through 22 reviews and two Viewpoint articles.
This exciting article collection provides an engaging and integrative perspective on homeostasis in a range of organelles, including those from the secretory and endocytic pathways, mitochondria, the autophagy-lysosomal pathway and the nucleus and its sub-compartments. This issue also features review content focused on some lesser-known organelles including migrasomes (organelles that are released by migrating cells) and GOMED (a Golgi-specific form of autophagy).
We invite you to also check out the interview-based article in this issue, featuring Eric Chevet, one of the journal’s board members. Here, you can read about Eric’s research on endoplasmic reticulum (ER) homeostasis and perspectives on his field and beyond.
Make sure to read through the Editorial by Editorial Board Member Colin Adrain and Emma Burbridge, where the authors give a detailed overview of the issue’s content with contextual background that could be particularly helpful for newcomers to the field.
We hope that readers will find this diverse issue on Organelle Homeostasis interesting and informative, and we thank all the authors for their excellent contributions.
On the cover: 3d rendering of biological animal cell with organelles cross section. Source: Shutterstock. Stock Illustration ID: 2003913530, Illustration Contributor: eranicle.
- O'Keefe S., Pool MR & High S (2021) Membrane protein biogenesis at the ER: the highways and byways. FEBS J. 2021 May 7. doi: 10.1111/febs.15905.
- Kat M, Margadant C, Voorberg J & Bierings R (2022) Dispatch and delivery at the ER-Golgi interface: how endothelial cells tune their hemostatic response. FEBS J. Mar 5. doi: 10.1111/febs.16421.
- Bonet-Ponce L & Cookson MR (2021) LRRK2 recruitment, activity, and function in organelles. FEBS J. Jul 1;10.1111/febs.16099. doi: 10.1111/febs.16099.
- Polanco JC & Götz J (2021) Exosomal and vesicle-free tau seeds-propagation and convergence in endolysosomal permeabilization FEBS J. Jun 6. doi: 10.1111/febs.16055.
- Jean-David Rochaix JD (2022) Chloroplast protein import machinery and quality control. Apr 26. doi: 10.1111/febs.16464.
- Zheng X & Xiang M (2022) Mitochondrion-located peptides and their pleiotropic physiological functions FEBS J. May 23. doi: 10.1111/febs.16532.
- Banerjee R, Purhonen J & Kallijärvi J (2021) The mitochondrial coenzyme Q junction and complex III: biochemistry and pathophysiology. FEBS J. Aug 24 doi: 10.1111/febs.16164.
- Mori MP, Penjweini R, Knutson JR, Wang PY & Hwang PM (2021) Mitochondria and oxygen homeostasis. FEBS J. Jul 8;10.1111/febs.16115. doi: 10.1111/febs.16115.
- Bennett CF, Ronayne CT & Puigserver P (2021) Targeting adaptive cellular responses to mitochondrial bioenergetic deficiencies in human disease. FEBS J. Sep 12;10.1111/febs.16195. doi: 10.1111/febs.16195.
- Liu S, Liu S & Jiang H (2021) Multifaceted roles of mitochondrial stress responses under ETC dysfunction - repair, destruction and pathogenesis. FEBS J. Dec 16. doi: 10.1111/febs.16323.
- Mahmud SA, Qureshi MA & Pellegrino MW (2021) On the offense and defense: mitochondrial recovery programs amidst targeted pathogenic assault. FEBS J. Jul 16;10.1111/febs.16126. doi: 10.1111/febs.16126.
- Liu J, Kang R & Daolin Tang D (2021) Signaling pathways and defense mechanisms of ferroptosis. FEBS J. Jun 6. doi: 10.1111/febs.16059.
- Bernardi P, Carraro M & Giovanna Lippe G (2021) The mitochondrial permeability transition: Recent progress and open questions. FEBS J. Oct 28. doi: 10.1111/febs.16254.
- Means RE & Katz SG (2021) Balancing life and death: BCL-2 family members at diverse ER-mitochondrial contact sites FEBS J. Oct 20. doi: 10.1111/febs.16241.
- Szczepanowska K & Aleksandra Trifunovic A (2021) Mitochondrial matrix proteases: quality control and beyond. FEBS J. May 10. doi: 10.1111/febs.15964.
- Harada Y, Ohkawa Y, Maeda K & Taniguchi N (2021) Glycan quality control in and out of the endoplasmic reticulum of mammalian cells. FEBS J. Sep 7. doi: 10.1111/febs.16185.
- Pavlović N & Heindryckx F (2021) Targeting ER stress in the hepatic tumor microenvironment. FEBS J. 2021 Jul 31. doi: 10.1111/febs.16145.
- McEwan DG & Ryan KM (2021) ATG2 and VPS13 proteins: molecular highways transporting lipids to drive membrane expansion and organelle communication. FEBS J. Nov 16. doi: 10.1111/febs.16280.
- Rangel M, Kong J, Bhatt V, Khayati K & Guo JY (2021) Autophagy and tumorigenesis. FEBS J. Jul 16;10.1111/febs.16125. doi: 10.1111/febs.16125.
- Intartaglia D, Giamundo G & Conte I (2021) Autophagy in the retinal pigment epithelium: a new vision and future challenges. FEBS J. May 16. doi: 10.1111/febs.16018.
- Noguchi S & Shimizu S (2021) Molecular mechanisms and biological roles of GOMED. FEBS J. 2021 Nov 17. doi: 10.1111/febs.16281.
- Tomikawa J & Miyamoto K (2021) Structural alteration of the nucleus for the reprogramming of gene expression. FEBS J. 2021 Apr 23. doi: 10.1111/febs.15894.
- Ilık IA & Tuğçe Aktaş T (2021) Nuclear speckles: dynamic hubs of gene expression regulation. FEBS J. Jul 10. doi: 10.1111/febs.16117.
- Yu S & Yu L (2021) Migrasome biogenesis and functions. FEBS J. Sep 7. doi: 10.1111/febs.16183.