In this Special Issue on Cancer Therapeutics, The FEBS Journal highlights the latest advances in cancer therapy through twelve review articles and an interview-based article.
In this exciting collection of recent studies, the current therapeutic approaches in cancer are reviewed, including recruitment of immune cells, use of small molecules, development of imaging tools, and repurposing of ‘old’ drugs to target either cancer cells or specific signalling pathways.
In the interview-based article featured in this issue, Tony Letai discusses the importance of function when designing targeted cancer therapies, giving an overview of BH3 profiling and its application to the treatment of cancer.
The FEBS Journal Editorial Board Member Christine Watson provides a comprehensive summary of the issue’s content in her editorial, which we encourage you to read for an overview of the issue.
On the cover: A 3D illustration of T cells attacking a cancer cell, obtained from Dreamstime.com. Image ID: 96819432, copyright Meletios Verras.
- Watson CJ (2021) The ever-expanding landscape of cancer therapeutic approaches. FEBS J. 288, 6082– 6086.
- Skourti E & Letai A (2021) In conversation with Tony Letai. FEBS J 288, 6087– 6093.
- van der Zanden SY, Qiao X & Neefjes J (2020) New insights into the activities and toxicities of the old anticancer drug doxorubicin. FEBS J 288, 6094– 6110.
- Ashe H, Krakowiak P, Hasterok S, Sleppy R, Roller DG & Gioeli D (2021) Role of the runt-related transcription factor (RUNX) family in prostate cancer. FEBS J 288, 6111– 6125.
- Chatwin HV, Cruz Cruz J & Green AL (2021) Pediatric high-grade glioma: moving toward subtype-specific multimodal therapy. FEBS J 288, 6126– 6140.
- Dupont CA, Riegel K, Pompaiah M, Juhl H & Rajalingam K (2021) Druggable genome and precision medicine in cancer: current challenges. FEBS J 288, 6141– 6157.
- Robinson RA, McMurran C, McCully ML & Cole DK (2021) Engineering soluble T-cell receptors for therapy. FEBS J 288, 6158– 6172.
- Yan S & Wan G (2021) Tumor-associated macrophages in immunotherapy. FEBS J 288, 6173– 6185.
- Wu L, Lian W & Zhao L (2021) Calcium signaling in cancer progression and therapy. FEBS J 288, 6186– 6204.
- Läubli H, Kawanishi K, Vazhappilly CG, Matar R, Merheb M & Siddiqui SS (2021) Tools to study and target the Siglec–sialic acid axis in cancer. FEBS J 288, 6205– 6224.
- Wang JZ, Lin TE, Wang K, Zhu H, Conway RM, Madigan MC, Murray M, Cherepanoff S, Zhou F & Shu W (2021) Development of new therapeutic options for the treatment of uveal melanoma. FEBS J 288, 6225– 6248.
- Naro C, Bielli P & Sette C (2021) Oncogenic dysregulation of pre-mRNA processing by protein kinases: challenges and therapeutic opportunities. FEBS J 288, 6249– 6271.
- Kemler I, Karamched B, Neuhauser C & Dingli D (2021) Quantitative imaging and dynamics of tumor therapy with viruses. FEBS J 288, 6272– 6284.
- Damen MPF, van Rheenen J & Scheele CLGJ (2020) Targeting dormant tumor cells to prevent cancer recurrence. FEBS J 288, 6285– 6302.